Maribor information system

Back to strolls

Grad(The Castle) - Trg Svobode(Liberty square) - Svetozarevska ulica(Svetozarevska street) - Lent - Vodnikov trg(Vodnik square) - Strossmayerjeva ulica(Strossmayerjeva street) - Mladinska ulica(Mladinska street) - Trg generala Maistra(General Maister square)

Vodnik square

Minoritski samostan Along Vojasniska ulica, next to the Drava, we reach Okrogli stolp (the Round Tower, also called the Monastery Tower) whose origins date back to the fourteenth century. In 1540 it took its present shape. On its eastern side is a building complex once occupied by the Minorite Monastery , first mentioned in 1270. The former Minorite Church, which fell into disrepair when Emperor Franz Josef II disbanded the monastery is on the upper terrace, along Vojasniski trg. For the past two centuries it has served as a storehouse.
If we turn east from the Round Tower, it can be reached via the food market in Vodnikov trg
. On the lower terrace below the Church, along the town wall we find another monastery, dating back to the thirteenth century. From the beginning of the nineteenth century, to 1927, it has served as the Drava Barracks, hence the names Vojasniska ulica (Barracks Street) and Vojasniski trg (Barracks Square). Still further to the east, Zicki dvor (the Zice Mansion) is adjacent to the site of the former Minorite Monastery. From the end of the fourteenth century it served as the administrative and business centre of the estates in the Maribor region owned by the Cartesian Monastery at Zice, near Slovenske Konjice. From 1810 on for nearly a century the Zice Mansion was used as a military court and military prison. The building has now been converted into flats.