Strossmayerjeva ulica we return west and proceed along Mladinska
ulica and Vrbanska cesta. At the beginning
of the chestnutlined promenade, we turn north and follow the second treelined
avenue towards Kalvarija (Calvary
Hill), where the College of Agriculture (Vrbanska 30) and Technological
Agricultural School are located. At Vrbanska 32/a an engineering secondary
school, a tree-nursery, vineyards, and a farming area are located. On our
return along the promenade, we turn east at Vrbanska cesta. To our
left are the orchards and vineyards on the slopes of Kalvarija (Calvary
Hill) As we walk along Vinarska ulica, at number 14, we find the
Agricultural Institute, which disseminates information on the care and advancement
of fruit and wine production. From Vinarska ulica we return to Mladinska
and continue east. The Elementary School Bojan Ilich, built in 1908, is
to our right, at number 13. It was once a teacher' training school, and
continued in this capacity for several years after World War II. The building
next to it now houses the Faculty of Law . It was built in 1892 as
a secondary school (Gymnasium). A bust of Henrik Schreiner (1850-1920),
a director of the teachers' college and a distinguished Slovene educator,
stands on a marble pedestal between the teachers' training school and the
Law Faculty. The bust was sculpted by Gabrijel Kolbic.
The Secondary School of Music and Ballet is across the street, at Mladinska 12. Built in 1877, it was originally intended as a theological seminary. Many Slovene intellectuals received their early education there, among them Dr. France Kidric, Dr. Joza Glonar, Dr. Janko Slebinger, and Vladimir Levstik. Muzej narodne osvoboditve (the Museum of National Liberation)  is at the corner of Mladinska and Ulica heroja Tomsica. In the past it had served a variety of functions: at first it was a villa owned by a merchant named Scherbaum; during World War I, it housed the Austrian-Hungarian Supreme Command in its war against Italy. in the 1920s, it was used as an adminitration centre for the Maribor government; from 1930 on, it was a school of forestry; and after World War II, a headquarters for various political organizations.
Town Park east of the promenade was planted with trees in 1872; and during
1889-1896, trees were planted in the newer section west of the promenade.
The park area had remained unchanged until the present day. In 1890, the
large gazebo, where musical festivities are held, was erected. Since 1953
the Town Aquarium , Ulica heroja Staneta 19, occupies a former coffee
house, constructed before World War II.
The Town Park has many exotic trees and bushes;
the trees are conveniently tagged. The Park boasts some 99 different species
of trees. The entire Park underwent a careful refurbishing to commemorate
its 100th anniversary. Maribor takes great pride in this lovely park. The
eastern corner of the Park leads into Ulica heroja Staneta.