Maribor information system


Walking through town

Grad(The Castle) - Vetrinjska ulica(Vetrinjska street) - Glavni trg(Main square) - Koroska cesta(Koroska street) - Strossmayereva ulica(Strossmayerjeva street) - Oroznova ulica(Oroznova street) - Slomskov trg(Slomsek square) - Gosposka ulica(Gosposka street) - Slovenska ulica(Slovenska street)

Vetrinjska street

Vetrinjska streetGrajski trg (Castle Square) narrows into Vetrinjska ulica. It got its name after the Cistercian Monastery in Vetrinje, near Celovec (Klagenfurt), in Carinthia. The monastery once had its rectory on this street. Vetrinjski dvor (the Vetrinje rectory house) |2] stands at the beginning of Vetrinjska ulica, number 30. (It is also called Nasek's House after its former owner Alojz Nasek, a tanner.) The rectory had already appeared as the property of the Vetrinje Cistercian monks in 1222. In the fourteenth century, a building with a chapel was added. The ground floor with a wine cellar was used for trade. The first floor was occupied by dwellings. The rectory was the main centre for church activities. Until 1709 the Cistercian monks used it as their headquarters to manage properties in the outlying areas. Around this time it was bought by a Count Breuner. His and his wife's (Countess Rabatta's) coat of arms (a horse jumping and two eagles held by a cord) were placed above the entrance portal. In the eighteenth century the building was in the possession of various noblemen. From the beginning of the nineteenth century it was in the hands of local townspeople. Between 1785 and 1806 the eastern wing of the building housed the Maribor Theatre which, during the period 1850-l869, became the headquarters of the regional governor. Salzburski dvor (the Salzburg Mansion) [3] is located at the lower end of Vetrinjska ulica (number 16) at the corner of the small street Ob jarku (At the Ditch). The Salzburg Archdiocese had its office in Maribor for managing its properties in town and in the countryside. The mansion itself was built in the middle of the fourteenth century. The Archdiocese owned it until the beginning of the eighteenth century, when it changed hands. During the years 1826-1941 the Carinthian St Paul Monastery had its offices there for managing the Vetrinje estate. For this reason it was called the Vetrinje Mansion. As such it created some confusion among Mariborians, since there were two mansions bearing the same name. In the eighteenth century the mansion was the meeting place of Maribor Society. During 1834-1864, it was the seat of a middle-class German Reading Society, as well as a casino.

Salzburski dvor (the Salzburg Mansion) is one of the most beautiful buildings in Maribor. From the beginning of the eighteenth century, its baroque facade has been decorated with ribboned ornamentation, and above the entrance, with two stone bas-reliefs of the figure Hermes. Presently, the building houses the Association of Societies of Engineers and Technicians. The house at Vetrinjska 5 is a good example of the architecture of the old Maribor beerhouse, when there were as yet no pubs. One descends from the street directly into the pleasant tap room.