Maribor information system

Back to strolls

Grad(The Castle) - Partizanska cesta(Partizanska street) - Ulica talcev - Presernova ulica(Presernova street) - Partizanska cesta(Partizanska street) - Kidricev trg(Kidric square) - Tomsiceva ulica(Tomsic street) - Mestni park(Town Park) - Trg generala Maistra(Maister square)

Partizanska street

From the Castle we head east along Partizanska cesta. On the right is the Franciscan Church [27], which was added to the Franciscan Monastery in Ulica Vita Kraigherja. The entire complex was built on the site of the former Capuchin Convent and the Church of the Mother of Mercy. From 1784 the Church was the seat of the Slovene surburban parish. After the plan of the Viennese architect Richard Jordan, the monastery building was erected between 1892-l893, followed in 1893-l900 by the Church, built in the style of the old-Roman basilica. The Church paintings were by the Hungarian painter Ferenz Pruszinsky. The Stations of the Cross were carved by Milos Hohnjec, from Celje. The organ is the work of the Maribor master Jozef Brandl. The stained glass windows were destroyed during World War II. Three new ones were designed by the painter Stane Kregar, and two by the Zagreb painter Pavle Susilovic, who also painted the rosette above the portal.Nearby we cross the wide Titova cesta, which runs south across the Drava. The river is spanned by an interesting bridge supported by two pillars. Built in 1963, it is 304 m long, 24 m wide, and 25 m high. At the other side of the bridge, to the left, is the hospital complex, with its central, multilevel hospital building. The hospital moved from the town centre to its present location in 1855; with additions, it grew to its present size.