Its position and role in northeastern Slovenia assures Maribor of a well-developed educational system. Maribor has a long tradition in education (Maribor actually had its first parish school back in 1224, well before it was even first established as a town).
Of utmost importance for Maribor, as well as for the entire region, is its high-quality secondary school (Gymnasium), established in 1758; many esteemed Slovene intellectuals were educated there. The tradition of quality continued. In 1782 the town got its main high school. In 1812 a teachers' training college was established. In 1861 this was expanded into a two-year program, and a few years later into a four-year secondary school, to be followed in 1888 by a women's teacher training school.
The advancement of modern technology created a need for a diversified secondary school ("realka"), devoted to the study of the natural sciences. The principles of economical farming were introduced in 1872 in a school devoted to the study of fruit-growing and viticulture.
With the transfer of the seat of the Diocese to Maribor in 1859, the town got its first school of higher learning devoted to the study of theology The period after World War II brought a desirable flexibility to the approach to education in Maribor, namely, that the overall level of education should keep pace with the demands of modern society and technology. Responding to these needs, the educational system in Maribor underwent much renovation and expansion.
With the city's industries undergoing an accelerated development, a need for new workers of various professional skills was created. With the arrival of new families in Maribor, a need arose for the expansion of the existing school system. The curricula were overhauled, modern school buildings were erected, and daycare centres for pre-school children were established.
Presently, secondary schools offer a wide variety of programs in the humanities, pedagogy, economics, agriculture, textile technology, business, catering, metallurgy, health care, furniture technology, construction, railroad maintenance, chemistry, electronics, with computer sciences, mechanical engineering, with metallurgy, and music and ballet.
Towards the end of the 1950s it became obvious in Maribor that for its economic and social development it needed a greater number of more highly skilled specialists. This is why from 1959 on, such separate institutions of higher learning as the schools of technology, commerce, pedagogy, law, agriculture, and stomatology were founded. In 1975, they became parts of The University of Maribor.
Today, the constituent Faculties of The University of Maribor are Faculty of Business and Economics, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Information Technology , Faculty of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Organizational Sciences, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Agriculture, College of Nursing Studies as well as The School of Business Management in Kranj. Its constituent members also include the University Library and the Computer Centre.