Grad(The Castle) - Partizanska cesta(Partizanska street) - Ulica talcev - Presernova ulica(Presernova street) - Partizanska cesta(Partizanska street) - Kidricev trg(Kidric square) - Tomsiceva ulica(Tomsic street) - Mestni park(Town Park) - Trg generala Maistra(Maister square)
General Maister square
Maistra (general Maister Square) is located between the
Regional Assembly Building and the Castle. It was built
on filled in gravel pits outside the town wall. To the
west, the building housing the present-day Secondary
Humanistic School (formerly the Natural Science School)
as well as the Elementary School of the Polancic
Brothers, was put up in 1873.
The trees on Trg generala Maistra (general Maister Square) were planted in 1883. The attractive stone fountain in front of the school, built after World War II, was designed by the architect Milan Cernigoj. A monument to the Slovene general and poet Rudolf Maister (1874 1934), was erected close to the fountain. After the collapse of the Austrian Hungarian Empire, it was General Maister who insured that Maribor and northeastern Slovenia would be part of the new Yugoslavian state. The monument was designed by the sculptor Vlasta Zorko and unveiled on October 10, 1987. Krekova ulica begins across the Park. The imposing former bank building (number 2) presently houses the rector's and other high offices of the University of Maribor. A tombstone, originally kept in the Regional Museum, of the editor and politician Anton Tomsic (1842-1871), was later placed at the eastern side of the park.